WORD GEEK | WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NASA & IBM?

02:41

Is everyone clear on the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym?
So just me then? 
Great.
{The word geekery is still going strong yo'all}


Last night, around 3AM, I had to get out of bed and switch on my laptop to put this inquisition to rest and here's what Google told me


abbreviation
əbriːvɪˈeɪʃ(ə)n/
noun
  1. a shortened form of a word or phrase.
    "SKU is the abbreviation for Stock Keeping Unit"

So, IBM is an abbreviation

acronym
ˈakrənɪm/
noun
  1. an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word (e.g. ASCIINASA ).

Therefore, NASA is an acronym

Now since I was already online, I wanted to go further. Remember in high school how we'd create a string of abbreviations to memorize certain information? Like,VIBGYOR- the reverse order of colours in a rainbow or BODMAS (!) in Maths? .

mnemonic
nɪˈmɒnɪk/
noun
  1. 1.
    a system such as a pattern of letters, ideas, or associations which assists in remembering something.
    "the usual mnemonic for star types is O Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me"

So VIBGYOR is a mnemonic but also an acronym?
I wonder why SKU is not pronouced skoo and become an acronym?

I need to get some sleep. 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by. I can't wait to hear your mind. Shine bright. XX.