LIFE | WEEKEND SNAPSHOTS

05:16


1. Breakfast on weekends is my most favourite social activity of all times. The possibility of leisurely sipping my coffee and taking my time to decide what I want plus the opportunity of having absolutely anything that I want, is just exquisite after 5 days of running out of the door with a toast in hand! After some intense squash playing on a rainy Saturday morning, four ravenous holligans wolfed down the finest breakfast offerings at JamJar Diner. I have frequented and loved this joint for breakfast, primariliy because they serve breakkie till 4PM! God bless 'em. Oddly, I have never actually dined here...a wrong I must correct soon.

NOTE: Their Peanut Butter+ Chocolate+ Banana smoothie is a short trip to heaven and back.

2. My lazy ass finally landed at Trilogy, the library with a difference. The place intrigued me because I have heard from many of my friends that the owners usually sit and have a conversation with the visitor which turns out to be a book-counselling session of sorts following which they are happy to recommend books to suit the mood. For instance, when I mentioned that I am pretty done with fiction after the heavy dose of classics thanks to MA Literature, I  was introduced to the history section. What I liked is that I would normally look at Biographies or Business books in the non-fiction category and would not have conciously chosen historyg. But after a very detailed and animated discussion I was recommended Valerio Massimo Manfredi's trilogy on Alexander the Great. Both the author and genre are new to me so I am intrigued to see how this pans out.  

3. Monsoon is full swing in the city! After a very soggy Saturday, I woke up to a (considerably) bright Sunday morning. But by the time I could bring my mug of tea to the window and open the newspaper, the sky had turned this beautifully mysterious shade of grey. There is absolutely nothing else that beats the feeling of being at home on a day like this doing nothing and letting your mind take you places...drenched in hot mugs of tea. Ah!

4. Like all good things come to an end, this feeling of glorious nothingness lasted exactly one hour! My friend and I had planned to go all touristy this weekend and visit the newly revamped Aquarium on Marine Drive and catch a show at the Planetarium. While we shall not speak of the experience at both these places (hint: don't keep high expectations) the evening was nicely wound by watching this very entertaining play. Two to Tango Three to Jive is a comedy, bordering on satire, about a middle-aged married man's struggle with the lack of romance (and passion) in his life which has probably been triggered by midlife crisis*. Witty writing complemented by sparkling performances, the play discusses issues like infidelity, sexual promisquity, long term marriages and happiness in general with a light hearted front. The audience leaves the theatre reflecting inwards and asking questions that are normally not spoken out loud.

* Did you know mid-life crisis in men is an actual, biological phenomenon and not a moral degenration as most presume it to be?  I recently attended a workshop on Understanding the Human Brain with the help of Neuroscience and one of the chapters was on the male brain between the age of 40 and 50. Turns out, at the age of 40, like clock-work secretion of dopamine, which is responsible for the feeling of pleasure and arousal and serotonin,  drop drastically. This drop leads to a sudden feeling of purposelessness, lack of thrill and excitement and peace. This explains the stereotypes of impulsive Ferrari purchases and taking 20 years younger lovers that movies show. Basically the brain goes on a rampant hunt for thrill and fulfillment from but these feelings are short lived. This phenomenon does come to an abrupt end at 50, but with sad consequences. At 50, the person is flooded with regret and disappointment from the actions of his past decades. Poor men. It is so scary to be a puppet to neurotransmitters!

You Might Also Like

10 comments

Hi! Thank you so much for stopping by. I can't wait to hear your mind. Shine bright. XX.